Since President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama left the White House, we can’t help but feel a little vacation envy. We’ve seen the happy couple on the beach in Tahiti. Kite-surfing in the Caribbean. And who can forget about the photo of Barack snapping a picture of Michelle while they were on a yacht…partying with Oprah and Gayle! When you work hard at a stressful job like the Obamas, you deserve to vacation like them too.
Even if your bank account doesn’t see it for a world tour like the Obamas had, consider at least one of these travel ideas for your next vacation.
Palm Springs, CA
This was the first of many destinations after the Obamas departed the White House in January. It’s 110 miles southeast of Los Angeles and a great jaunt for laying around the pool, getting a spa treatment, golf, hiking and plenty of other outdoor adventures. It can get really hot and humid in this desert city (imagine 126 degrees), we recommend traveling here for spring break or a winter getaway. Here’s some fun in the sun to add to your itinerary.
- Palm Springs Aerial Tramway – Starting at $25.95
- Small-Group Sunset Adventure to the San Andreas Fault from Palm Springs – Starting at $135
- Temecula Wine Tasting by Hummer from Palm Springs – Starting at $229
- Joshua Tree Hummer Adventure from Palm Desert – Starting at $169
British Virgin Islands
The British Islands is where we saw President Obama kite-surfing with business mogul Richard Branson. Rather than stay on one Caribbean island, do yourself a favor and do some island hopping when you get here. All of the islands are within 15 to 60 minutes from each other. Most people start from Tortola and make their way to others islands for adventure and/or relaxing excursions.
- Road Town Shore Excursion: Round-Trip Beach Transfer from Jost Van Dyke – Starting at $83.99
- Road Town Shore Excursion: Tortola Party Bus Tour – Starting at $86.99
- Day Cruise to British Virgin Islands from St Thomas or St John – Starting at $154.99
- Tortola Shore Excursion: Food Tasting Tour – Starting at $109
- Amazing Yacht Day Trips in the Virgin Islands – Starting at $300
Tahiti, French Polynesia
It was on David Geffen’s yacht off the French Polynesian island of Moorea where we saw President Obama taking Instagram-worthy pictures of First Lady Michelle. The Obama’s reportedly stayed at The Brando, a hotel named in honor of the late Marlon Brando, in Tetiaroa, where Obama was penning his White House memoir. Out of all the French Polynesian islands the Obamas visited, Tahiti is the largest. If you’re looking for some peaceful down-time or a romantic getaway, the turquoise water and beaches make it a perfect destination. We recommend traveling in August, it’s driest season.
- Escapade Charter Tahiti, Day Tours
- The Brando (Hotel)
- Teahupoo Adventure Tours and Surf – Starting at $45
- Teahupoo Tahiti Surfari – Day Tours
La Repubblica reported that the Obamas were vacationing in the Tuscan countryside in a hilltop villa in Buonconvento. If you’re a food and wine lover, traveling to a Tuscan village is a must. There’s plenty of opportunity to fill your belly with gelato, pasta, and wine from the surrounding restaurants. For those who like adventure, consider taking a cooking class while you’re there.
- Small-Group Pasta Class from Scratch with Seasonal Ingredients – Starting at $74.55
- Self-Drive Vintage Fiat 500 Tour from Florence: Tuscan Wine Experience – Starting at $125
Small-Group Wine Tasting Experience in the Tuscan Countryside – Starting at $87.90
Florence Cooking Class: Learn How to Make Gelato and Pizza – Starting at $54.52